Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Court Bauer, Former WWE Writer, on Racism, Sexism & Homophobia in Writer's Room
06-05-2013, 11:38 AM

Former WWE writer Court Bauer sat down with the Kings of Sport Podcast to discuss an array of wrestling-related topics. The enlightening conversation quickly zeroed in on the xenophobic and myopic culture of WWE creative—the make-or-break division that churns out endless ideas for content featured on WWE television and pay-per-view.

Most informed fans don't have to be a fly on the wall in a writer's meeting to become suspicious of prejudice behavior in WWE. Watching Ron "R-Truth" Killings' entrance will take care of that.

What was equally disheartening was the structure of WWE's homogeneous hierarchy. The promotion seemed equipped to appropriately book the All-American types while freezing out all other types of Americans.

Bauer expressed concerns with the predominately white, predominately male makeup of WWE's writing staff.

Aside from racism, the element of sexism presided. According to Bauer, WWE Vice President Stephanie McMahon has pushed for more female employees like Jen Bloodsworth who, according to Bauer, "really rose up the ranks and impressed a lot of people" before pursuing a career in improv and comedy.

But the lack of diversity in one of WWE's most pivotal departments has had its share of adverse effects both in and out of the ring. Bauer only scratched the surface when telling a story of a writer referring to a match between two African-Americans as a gimmick vs. gimmick.

It actually gets much worse.

"I've heard Vice Presidents use the N word," Bauer said. "I heard Vince say 'I'd consider fairly racist stuff targeting certain Latin performers in the company' in meetings. There was, at one point, one African-American on the writing team. He lasted three-to-four months."

"It is definitely a problem in that company when you have someone like me or a 55-year-old dude from Alabama booking minorities because—I've talked about this a lot with (former WCW and TNA wrestler) Konnan—because, like, we can't give you a perspective of what a Hispanic hero could and should be and what's relatable in their community and what's relatable in their culture. We can only see from the outside and kinda project what that is."

Scrolll Down Below the Michael Hays Pic To Finish

http://whoresandheadlocks.com/showthread.php?tid=16377
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

[-]
Share/Bookmark (Show All)
Facebook Twitter Tumblr Reddit Linkedin Digg Delicious