Wesley Warren Jr. — the 44-year-old Las Vegas man whose 132 pound scrotum made headlines worldwide — had surgery to resolve his condition, which is caused by an excess of watery fluid collecting around his testicles.
“There are a lot of shows about makeovers, but this is a real makeover,” Dr. Joel Gelman, who performed the surgery on Thursday, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “He’s basically a new man.”
Warren was released from the hospital last week and is recovering.
For more details on the surgery and how it was performed, see the Review-Journal’s story here.
Warren’s condition first made headlines in October, 2011.
Warren initially sought donations for the surgery, estimated to cost around $1 million, through the email address email@example.com.
He also turned down an offer from the “Dr. Oz Show” to pay for the surgery in exchange for exclusive interview rights.
That fueled speculation that Warren had become addicted to the fame his scrotum had earned him, but he shot down that suggestion in June of last year.
“Who would want to live like this?” Warren said. “I just don’t want to die during the operation.”
There was a risk Warren could have died if doctors were unable to stop the bleeding during the invasive surgery. But, after Gelman offered his services for free, Warren decided to take his chances, according to the Review-Journal.