A California high school is throwing a flag on students running an NFL-like “prom draft,” which ranks female students and allows boys to pay as much as $140 for a first-round pick, officials said.
Kathy Scott, the principal of Corona del Mar High School in Newport Beach, sent an email to parents after word spread about the bracket for the June 7 prom, the Daily Pilot reported.
“This ‘draft’ appears to be similar to a sports draft,” Scott said in the email.
“What I understand is that male students purchase draft tickets and females are then ‘drafted’ as dates for the prom. I do not believe this is intended to be harmful, but this is not behavior that is consistent with our school’s outstanding reputation,” Scott said in the email.
One junior at the Orange County school paid $140 for a top pick so he could select a specific girl, a friend told the paper.
“It’s awkward because he spent a large amount of money to go with someone he doesn’t talk to,” said the student, who did not give his name. “And she finds it awkward that he chose her.”
He said his classmates have mixed feelings about the draft, which was also held last year, but everyone honors the picks, the student said.